Thursday, March 17, 2016

When I Found Out I Was Allergic to Dogs

When I was younger, I would go over to my grandparents house when I had a cold because my parents both had to go to work. My grandparents have 2 dogs (this was before we knew I was allergic to dogs). When my parents would come pick me up from my grandparents house, I would always be more congested that I was when they dropped me off. One time, after my parents had picked me up, I went to bed, and in the middle of the night my parents heard me wheezing, they woke me up and took me to the ER. I was 2 1/2 at the time and had absolutely no idea what was going on and that there was a possibility that I could die. My parents were both freaking out, while the doctors hooked me up to oxygen. In a few weeks, we got in to see an allergist to see what it was that caused my lungs to close up and stop me from breathing. It turned out that I am severely allergic to dogs (and many other things but I found that out later). They measure your allergic reaction on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the worst) and it turns out that I am a 4+, meaning that my allergy is so bad they were unable to measure it on their scale. 

2 comments:

  1. Oof. I'm sorry. My brother and I are lucky enough to have no allergies yet, but my mom is pretty allergic to bees and I feel for you. Nice slice, you remember this moment well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I don't know how I would react about being so severely allergic to dogs that they couldn't even measure it on their scale. Nice slice.

    ReplyDelete